Tuesday 21 August 2007

Sun, Sea and Cider

Well I'm back from two weeks in sunny Somerset / Devon. Whilst under the influence of sun, sea and cider I spent many a hour designing a set of classes for my next Delphi game. I wanted to produce a library that would make it easy to get a 2D sprite based game working with minimal coding. I also wanted a library that could be reused so that I didn't have to re-invent the wheel all the time. Having spent some time with the XNA content pipeline I have based my set of classes around this concept. I've based the classes around SDL and now have 6 classes that handle audio and visual content and the bliting of individual or batches of sprites. So far I'm very happy with the design as its very OO making it very flexible. It should be easy to add OpenGL support in the future so its reasonably future proof. Over the next few days I will start to put together the basic code of my new game so that I can tweak the library and get a demo up and running.

No comments: